Martha

Former Names
Rig typeSchooner
Rig descriptionStaysail Schooner
LOD68'
LOA84'
LWL47'
Beam16'
Draft: maximum8'
Draft: minimum
Sail area2100
Gross tons
DesignerCrowninshield, B.B.
Design
BuilderW. F. Stone
Launched1907
Plankingorig/doug fir: new/silver
Framingorig/white oak:new/angeli
Fasteningsorig/iron:new/silicon bro
Power plantmp120 Isuzu diesel
CharterNo
Primary home port cityPort Townsend
Primary home port stateWA
Primary home port country
Primary home port season
Secondary home port city
Secondary home port state
Secondary home port country
Secondary home port season
AffiliationSchooner Martha Foundation
Web sitehttp://www.schoonermartha.org/
OwnerSchooner Martha Foundation
Former owners-
CommentsBuilt in 1907 for J. R. Hanify and named after his wife, Martha Fitzmaurice Hanify. J. R. Hanify was the Commodore of the San Francisco Yacht Club. James Cagney owned her from 1934-1943. Edgar Kaiser purchased her in 1968 and brought her to Washington; he later donated her to Four Winds Westward Ho Camp on Orcas Island. The campers still sing the Martha song and Martha visits the camp each summer. Martha is now owned and operated by The Schooner Martha Foundation whose sole purpose is to maintain and restore Martha and to use Martha to operate sail training programs. Martha has been under their care since 1996. Martha is still considered one of the fastest schooners around. Martha takes both youths and adults on sail training adventures in and around the San Juan Islands and Canadian waters.